Criteria for Commissioners of the Florida Commission on Offender Review
- Appointed by the Governor and the Cabinet from a list of eligible applicants submitted by the Parole Qualifications Committee.
- Must include representation from minority persons (as defined by statute).
- Must be confirmed by the State Senate.
- Appointed for six-year terms; may serve no more than two consecutive six-year terms.
Parole Qualifications Committee
- Five member Committee appointed by the Governor and the Cabinet to two-year terms. The Governor and Cabinet will then select one of the five members to be Chair of the Committee.
- Submits a list of three individuals, without recommendations, for every one vacancy.
- If the list is rejected, the Committee must reinitiate the application and examination procedures.
Selection of Commissioners by the Committee
- Advertises statewide
- Receives and reviews all applications
- Minimum Qualifications for Commissioners is set by Committee.
- Examination of applicants’ work background, educational background, and criminal background is required.
- Interviews of a narrowed list of applicants are held in order to determine character, experience, background, habits, and philosophy
- Chairman: $135,000, annually
- Commissioners: $125,000, annually